Friday, May 13, 2011

Mid-Week Balance--11 May 2011



If you read the post last week on The Courage of Everyday Living, you know that things have been a little stressful here in KC. In honor of that, I'm focusing on the tools that helped me relocate a little peace this week. I hope that they create some connection to your own drive to give yourself a little TLC.

Dr. Elisha Goldstein's Mindfulness & Psychotherapy blog is consistently a great resource for solid information and tools on building a mindfulness practice. This is one of the practices that I recommend to many of my clients because of the solid research on its benefits. This week, he pulled together some fantastic suggestions about how to integrate mindfulness with our technology use: "Work: How to Use Our Computers to Plug into Mindfulness"

Marianne Elliott's Zen Peacekeeper blog is one of my go-to resources when I need some down-to-earth reminders about my self-care. She just does such a great job of providing clear permission to focus on self, like this piece: "Self-Care When You're too Busy to Take Care of Yourself"

Arwyn of Raising My Boychick is usually good for some thought-provoking posts on the social construction of gender roles, sexual orientation, and parenting. I appreciate her perspective and the challenge she presents to the status quo. But this poem about the place and power of breath just hit it out of the park: "Breathe"

Brene Brown's Ordinary Courage is a wellspring of permission to be our authentic, wholehearted selves, embracing our creativity and releasing our shame. This week, she examines how trying to be "cool" restricts our ability to be real: "cool: the emotional straightjacket"

Rosie Molinary has made multiple appearances on this blog, as a guest Q&A respondent, and as a "Mid-Week Balance" feature. This week, when things felt so turned upside down, her post on owning our own imperfections was incredibly supportive. I took it as a reminder that being genuine (even when genuine is scary & vulnerable) is the best tool we have for teaching and connection: "On Being Imperfect"